Monday, December 26, 2011

Photo Non-Contest #177- Favorites

So this week, Written Inc. has requested our favorite photos we've taken this year.  This would have to be mine:

This was taken early last summer at Old Deseret Village, a living history museum in Salt Lake.  It's a row of replica handcarts used every year in the 24th of July Pioneer Day parade.  
Personally, I've always thought it was stupid that Utah chronically glamorizes the handcarts, as they were the stupidest thing every dreamed up for crossing the Plains, and many, many lives were lost because of their encouraged use (my ancestors came in covered wagons, thank you very much).  But that doesn't stop me from thinking these make a pretty cool snapshot.

8 comments:

  1. What a clever photo - very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that! the repeat pattern of the wheels is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the angle u took this from... those wheels seem to go on and on....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had great luck at two other blogs that I haven't been able to leave comments, so here's trying yours again! Yes! I especially am impressed in the manner you shot these fine replica wheels of so long ago...you shoot it like they are rolling out in such a delicate stream! Very cool! We have neighbors that have these placed in various locations (many smaller and thicker wood) but still to many out here it's the thing to display against your barn or house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the way you got these wheels at eye level, great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, everyone. You all realize, of course, that this is the best of about 10 similar shots of the same thing......

    ReplyDelete
  7. Humph I left a comment last night but it hasn't come up!
    Fantastic shot, so clever, and very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't imagine anyone pulling a handcart to travel in any direction but this shot of wheels within wheels does something for me.

    ReplyDelete