Monday, November 14, 2011

Photo Non-Contest #171 -- Classic

Written Inc's theme this week is "classic."
I was trying to think of something that did not involve cars or books, and I ran across this photo.

Yeah, it's waxed paper, and it's so old it doesn't have a bar code on it anywhere.
Last summer my nephews were over for a picnic, and I opened a drawer to get out some plastic wrap for leftover food and found this instead.  It seems Mom had just found it on a shelf in the storeroom, left over from when we cleaned out Grandma's house after she passed away -- in 1976.  No doubt, Grandma had had it on the shelf awhile, too, as you never know when you're going to need waxed paper, and it doesn't exactly spoil.  Yup, my family's like that.  (I have a squeeze bottle of Bactine spray for cuts and scrapes marked 39¢ from a pharmacy that's been out of business for nearly 4 decades.  I used it some of the spray on an insect bite just a few weeks ago.  Worked great.)

8 comments:

  1. Waxed paper - been a long time since I've seen that. We used to iron fall leaves between two sheets of it when I was a kid. Wonder if they still do that (yeah, right!). Great entry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waxed paper is still pretty easy to find in any supermarket. It's handy stuff for cooking. And, yeah, I'm sure kids still iron fall leaves -- and crayon shavings! -- between sheets of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the best of my knowledge I have never had or seen waxed paper in the UK, now or then! But I'm sure that is a classic of its kind, as they say!

    And a good shot, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, I use waxed paper.. Its a great cover for when u want to microwave and don't want to use plastic to cover the food...
    @Gilly: when I worked in the schools I knew one student still had her sandwiches wrapped in waxed paper.... its got a million uses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for the theme, Writer. I'm pretty sure we don't have waxed paper either - what used to be called "greaseproof paper" is now labelled "baking paper".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess I just haven't been looking.
    .
    Word verification: Manti.
    Did Google move to Utah?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had one the other day that read "chess." I thought that was pretty good.
    Remember when I got "Fords" on your blog? That was the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Greaseproof I've heard of. I wonder if it's the same thing. 1976 makes this a vintage classic link.

    ReplyDelete