Thursday, June 16, 2011

Photo Non-Contest #150 -- Signs That Make Us Wonder

Written Inc's theme this week is about crazy signs.  I can SO do this theme.
Forgive me, but some of these have been on my old site in earlier times.  But, here they are now, all together, for your enjoyment, ladies and gentlemen!!

Let me begin with my absolute favorite ever, an old poster pulled from the walls of the school where I teach in 1995.  Yes, the local high school's dance director was an English teacher -- but she apparently didn't like to proofread.

Yup.  Best lesson on "why it's important to learn to spell" ever.  Kinda makes you wonder what you're getting for the 6 bucks, doesn't it?  ;)

And my other favorite is this one:
Duh.
Okay, to be fair, this was taken at the Great Salt Lake several years ago, during one of the drought years.  No doubt if I went out today, that sign would make a lot more sense.

And here's one posted at a resort condo with an addition by an apparently tired guest:

This one comes from Cedar City, Utah, where one of the other English teachers from my school demonstrates the DUH factor here.  This one makes you wonder why that sign became necessary....

And this one's a label, but it does show why British and American English are not interchangeable.  Also, my students LOVE this.

For those of you who believe a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a great sign from Astoria, Oregon, explaining very succinctly why it is hazardous to ride bikes on the dock.

Again, it makes you wonder why this sign became necessary.  :0


And here's another one near and dear to my heart.
Enlarge the photo by clicking on it to see the sign better.  This is from Edinburgh, Scotland.  And, yes, there's a craft fair in that kirkyard every year during the festival season.  Gotta love it.  :)

And this is just a doofy one that made me do a double take in a parking lot one day.


This one was also in Oregon.  ;)

6 comments:

  1. That "No Swimming" one is kind of the opposite, yet same, as my "High Water" sign. Bunch of good signs with good laughs you got here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ow! Such violent imagery for the bicycle one!!

    I love the "Craft Fair at the end of this path."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one from Oregon (the biker taking a fall) reminds me of the instructions that come in furniture that you have to assemble from IKEA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that they do it all with pictures, it makes me giggle. The first picture is typically a person with a sad face and a line through it, followed by 2 persons with smiles. I imagine it is always better to assemble with a friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now Spotted Dick was a favourite pudding when I was young - but home made and not out of a tin.

    On Site Adult Activities? Perhaps they make you sleep.

    Good fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caution this is not a door! LOL that one cracks me up. I can just picture the reason it's there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha ha! Oh, how I love that first photo. You could practically devote an entire post to what a "Ho Down" might be. Tee hee hee!

    ReplyDelete