Monday, October 17, 2011

Photo Non-Contest #167 -- Edible

Last week's post got quite a few comments on a photo of an old spinning wheel in a living history museum of a farm in Orkney (north of Scotland).
This week, Written Inc's theme is "edible," but I've posted so many of my food photos before that I didn't think I could find anything original to use.  Then I remembered the Orkney photos.
The light was so unreal that day, and the subject material so different from anything I usually take.  So let me now share with you a couple of photos of farm food in the prep stages -- at least from an Orcadian farm of a century ago.

Fish drying by the fire (oh yes, they were real fish, dripping oil all over the stone hearth and smelling to high heaven).


I love this photo; it's almost surreal.


And here's a chicken pecking at the flour made with a quernstone.



There you go.  The stuff's edible (even the chicken), and here's hoping it'll be a different take on the theme than what most people do.
Remember to click on the pics to see them full-sized.

9 comments:

  1. Great pictures, really love the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unusual, and I like the idea of authentic fish-drying. I Iike the idea, but wouldn’t like the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an interesting way to smoke fish. I haven't seen a quernstone for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different, I like it. Nothing looked really appetizing to me, but they are edible, and I love the photos. Like you said, surreal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really interesting pics. you're right - the top one is quite surreal; I love the fat brown chook stopping at nothing to get to the grains! Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Max, the theme is "edible," not "appetizing." I don't like fish either. I was going for something different, as I've over-used all my other food pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are fabulous photos. I don't think I would want to smell the first one but the atmosphere is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you're different, as these are delightfully unique. I'm totally with you - edible doesn't necessarily need to be appetizing. We - and animals - all have different tastes, after all. Thanks for the photographically provocative reminder!

    ReplyDelete