Monday, October 3, 2011

Photo Non-Contest #165 -- Welcome, Autumn

Written Inc's theme this week is one I think I anticipated when I took a break from grading papers over the weekend and went with Mom and Dad up a local canyon to see the leaves.  (Unfortunately, half of Salt Lake City also went, and it was crowded as all get out and not very relaxing at all.  Still, I got a few good shots.)
Sometimes I get tired of being reminded by people that the fall colors are "much prettier back East."  Okay, I'm willing to give in that the climate on the east coast is probably more conducive to variety in leaf colors than is our desert.  But it's hard for me to believe that "back East" is always prettier than the contrast we get with aspen and pine against rugged granite mountains.  Try some of these looks on for size:

Here's Silver Lake at Brighton Ski Resort (and about a million people around it):

(We're at the top of the resort here.)

And here's a shot from Moose Meadow Lane on the way up.  (Yeah, that's Dad taking a photo at the near the parking lot there.)



And here's one that's a bit blurry because I took it out of the window of a moving vehicle, but I love the contrast anyway.

(Again, the mountains don't look high here because we're nearly at the summit.)

Remember to click on the photos to see them full-sized.
Happy autumn.

10 comments:

  1. These are lovely shots, Writer - I love the reflections.
    Happy Autumn to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, folks.
    Sorry, Max. Your comment had TMI in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't mean to get all religious and metaphysical, because you know that's totally not me. But these pictures remind me that G-d paints the planet in all sorts of ways, and stunning beauty like this is virtually always the result.

    Do I so want to be Right There!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three great photos; that first one really grabs your attention especially when enlarged.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are great photos = and you live in such a beautiful part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely layers of colour and outlines.....needed to just pause awhile and wait

    thankyou

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read your post yesterday and today went up into the mountains, so I was mentally comparing tree colors with the pictures on this post. I didn't like the idea that my hometown has inferior fall colors to my current home. So instead I thought about sunsets. No place holds a candle to Utah sunsets. And those are year round. :) There! Utah is still better than here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you got out of the city for awhile anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was good to get out. Among our options for activities: Hay rides at the pumpkin patch, hiking at a waterfall, or attending the Moonshine festival. Too bad we could only choose one!

    ReplyDelete